Thursday, March 29, 2018

March Wrap Up!

This has been such a good month for me. I was able to read quite a few books! I also seemed to have a theme this month for my reading which is Middle East like setting and young adult. There was several I didn't have finished this month that will continue on into April. Let's get to the books I'd definitely recommend, followed by the ones I wouldn't recommend, and finally the ones that are carrying over to April!

What I'd Recommend:

Rating: 5/5

Now I Rise is the second book in this historical fiction series by Kiersten White. This book is about the children of Vlad the Impaler as they are sent to live at the court of the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire. Vlad's second born son is gender bent into a female named Lada. Along with her younger brother Radu they find themselves entangled in a love triangle and fighting to find themselves.  I give this  book is an excellent  sequel to the first book. I absolutely love the character development, world building, and will continue to read the final installment when it comes out I think next year.

Rating: 5/5

Rebel of the Sands is the first book in this great series. You're taken immediately to the dusty wild west middle east town of Downwalk and you meet Amani. She is a strong main character lead that takes her own direct. I love that there is a clear sense that there is a romance that is blooming in the book but that never takes away from her journey. It focuses on her and that made this book everything. The writing is so well done that I feel what the character feels as I read this book. The world building is excellent, characters are flawlessly developed, and I cannot wait to pick up the second book! 

Rating: 4/5 

The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh is such a prose filled dream that allows for me to see everything that she does like a movie in my head. I just absolutely adore this book. I love the main character Shazi. She is strong, brave, and courageous. I love that she takes ahold of the situations she is put in and spins it around so that she can get ahold of it. I 100% recommend it to you. The only downfall is that the author decided to write two short stories. that could have been placed in the first and second book because it is a duology series. That's the only ding for a star! 

What I WOULD NOT Recommend

Rating: 2/5
The Cabin by Natasha Preston is about a young girl who goes on a planned get away with her friends to her friend's cabin. At the cabin the first night they are there two of her friend's get murdered. So she runs around searching for who the murderer might be before her or her friends are put in jail for the crime. The story was going great like it always did but then we got to the ending. And the book just fell completely to the pavement and shattered like a piece of glass. The real reason behind the antagonists motive was so stupid and unbelievable I just couldn't believe after two other successful books written by this author that this one fell so hard.  I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone. I do however, like to suggest books that are similarish and I do think that anyone would enjoy. For this instance, I suggest Far From You.

Rating: 5/5
Far From You by Tess Sharpe is an excellent alternative to The Cabin. The book is about Sophie, who is trying to find out who killed her best friend and girlfriend. The story alternates between past and current events as she solves who the murderer is. I love this book and you should definitely pick it up. 

What 's Joining Me in April:




I hope that you enjoyed this post! Till next time!

- Aj xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment